Flying Geese

May 9th 2014

One of the things I really love about Fall is listening to the geese flying in to our local reservoirs and nature reserves.  There is something magical about the rhythmic beating of their wings and the honking.  I'm intrigued by the V shape they always fly in and how they alternate who is lead position.   I like to visit a nature reserve in the California Central Valley, about an hour and half's drive from here.  There I can watch the arrival of the sandhill cranes, ibis, any number of ducks, white pelicans and geese.  I hardly ever see any other people there, just thousands of birds.  It is an amazing sight.  If you hang out there long enough, something will startle the birds and they take flight with a tremendous amount of noise.  They fly around for a bit and then settle back down.  I take a picnic, binoculars, my "Sibley" bird book and spend the day.  In these photos the white birds are mainly geese and the grey birds are the cranes.  In the second photo, the birds in flight are nearly all geese.  



As a quilter I really enjoying traditional quilt patterns in vibrant modern fabrics.  My favorite pattern is the Log Cabin block because it is so versatile but I also really like the Flying Geese pattern.  In case you are not familiar with the Flying Geese block, it looks like this.


This is a collection of Flying Geese blocks laid out on the floor prior to being sewn together and quilted.  I had a great time with the fabric choices for this quilt!  It is very bright and the finished quilt is hand quilted.   As I was sketching ideas for pincushions I was playing with the idea of combining an image of an actual goose with the quilt block pattern.  This is what I came up with.  It is a simple design of two geese silhouetted against the blue sky.  The triangles around the side band reference the quilt pattern.





The final pincushion was added to my store today.  You can see it here..... 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189065641/wool-felt-pincushion-flying-geese-bright?ref=shop_home_active_1











Comments

Popular Posts