March Reading


March 29th 2014




I love to read books, magazines and blogs.  I read for pleasure, to learn things and for inspiration.  Here is some of what I've been reading this month.  I'm not going to provide links  to online sellers because, if possible, I encourage you to support your local independent book seller.  

Vintage Quilt Revival by Katie Clark Blakesley, Lee Heinrich and Faith Jones
I had been eyeing this book for a long time before I bought it because I was a bit worried the quilts would be too difficult for me and indeed, some of them are.   I'm especially drawn to the Star Bright Quilt but wouldn't you know, it's an advanced level quilt!  Maybe one day then!  The Seaside Quilt is lovely too and is an intermediate level so I may try that one.  Faith Jones blogs at  http://www.freshlemonsquilts.com.  I've been following her blog for a long time.  She has wonderful tutorials and lots of photos.  The book is one I like to dip into when I sit for a bit with a cup of tea.  

A Rainbow of Stitches is pure eye candy and inspiration for anyone who loves embroidery.  It is not a "how to" book but contains lots of design ideas for embroidery and cross stitch.  It is arranged in color chapters which is fun but of course any of the designs could be stitched in any color or combination of colors.

The Quarter Acre Farm by Spring Warren is something I read because I am interested in growing food and in making careful, informed choices when grocery shopping.  The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollen changed the way I think about farming and the food industry.   As much as possible I buy fresh produce at our local farmer's market and I also try and grow some of our fruit and vegetables.  This book is easy to read and is a humorous account of one family's commitment to grow their own food for a year in a suburban environment.   I learned some things from their mistakes and could relate to their experiences except for the part about eating snails! I found the illustrations appealing too.  

Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan  I came across this book at my local independent book store and was immediately attracted to the cover.  As I paid for it, the bookstore owner mentioned that it glows in the dark, and it does, faintly - so cool!  It has been a while since I've read anything that seemed so fresh.  It is full of quirkiness, humor, local (to me anyway) techie stuff and most importantly, friendship.  I loved it and didn't want it to end.  Everyone in my book club enjoyed it too and we had some pretty lively discussion about it.

A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy  What can I say, mind candy pure and simple!

The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro  I am only a little way into this.  I picked it up at the library this week because it is the Library Book Club book for April.  I'm loving the writing am already attached to the characters plus it seems like it is mostly going to be set in Paris.

Time for a cup of tea a read, I think. 



Comments

Popular Posts